What’s in your EDC?
With the growing popularity of both EDC and minimalism, the need for larger bags such as backpacks is down and the demand for compact bags is up!
Enter the sling bag, a great choice for your everyday carry bag.
In this post, I’ll give my top 3 EDC sling bags, as well as some tips on choosing the right one and on EDC/minimalism in general.
Don’t have time to read the whole thing? Check out my top choice, the Patagonia Atom Sling 8L, over on Amazon now!
Best overall EDC sling bag: the Patagonia Atom Sling Bag
The Patagonia Atom Sling Bag 8L is one of our top choices for an EDC sling bag, for reasons that will be readily apparent.
This 100% nylon bag is lined with 100% recycled polyester and then sprayed with a water resistant coating. The Atom Sling Bag features Patagonia’s signature dedication to quality and is sure to last you on your outdoor or urban adventures for years to come!
- The sling is made of 2 compartments and a padded tablet sleeve, making it easy to keep your gear organized
- 8L capacity gives you just enough room for your gear without being overwhelming
- Extra compression straps on the bag enable you to strap gear on the outside of your pack
- The strap and back are lined with breathable mesh padding
- Water resistant
- The 8L carrying capacity may not be enough for some users who are packing for more than 1
- The bag is only water resistant, meaning it won’t keep your gear dry if you get caught in a downpour
Overall, I love this bag.
It’s made for the weather you might encounter on a normal day, while keeping your essential EDC gear together.
Not convinced yet? Check out this video from Patagonia describing the features of the Atom Sling 8L:
Most stylish EDC sling bag: the Kavu Rope Sling
The Kavu Rope Sling is a ruggedly stylish sling bag that features an adjustable rope strap, several organizational pockets, and a water resistant coating.
Coming in a wide variety of colors and designs (seriously, there are a ton), the Kavu Rope Sling is a great choice for the outdoor explorer who still wants to show off their individuality!
Now, the Amazon page says these are for “women,” but aside from some of the specific styles which are more feminine, I’m not sure why this wouldn’t be considered unisex. Some, like the Sasquatch print, seem pretty much for men.
- The rope strap stretches, making it extremely comfortable
- Features two zip compartments and two cell phone pouches, giving you plenty of space to put your gear
- The cheap price makes it more affordable than other sling bag options
- Comes in dozens of different designs and colors
- The bag is padded and embroidered
- Might be too small for users who need to pack for more than one person
- The fabric design of the bag means it takes longer for the bag to dry once it gets wet
- The cell phone pockets only close with flaps, so smaller items may fall out if the bag is flipped upside down
Overall, this is an amazing EDC sling bag for those who want a more stylish choice, or to have their individual personality shine.
Watch the video below for a look at the features of the Kavu Rope Sling:
Best urban EDC sling bag: OutdoorMaster Sling Bag
The OutdoorMaster Sling Bag is a great EDC pack for those who live in or travel within the city (despite its name).
The pack is extremely versatile, featuring a reversible shoulder strap, three zippered compartments, and breathable mesh on the strap and back.
In addition, it’s a more secure bag than most, offering a hidden anti-theft pocket and a pocket on the strap, so you can keep your valuables in sight.
It’s also super inexpensive, so if you’re looking for an entry level bag, this is it.
- Hidden anti-theft pockets means your valuables will stay safe and secure
- Reversible strap means you can effortlessly switch your bag between shoulders
- Breathable mesh on the strap and back means more ventilation when you’re out in the heat
- It features a side water bottle pocket, which is great for grabbing your drink on the go
- The bag is a bit smaller than others within its price range
- The zippers are difficult to access without taking the pack off if you wear it on your right shoulder
- The bag is heavier than others within its size range
Looking for an inexpensive EDC sling bag that meets your needs? Look no further than this one from OutdoorMaster.
EDC and the Rise of Minimalism
You’ve probably heard it by now:
EDC stands for everyday carry.
Like the name suggests, an “EDC” item is something that you consistently carry around with you on an everyday basis. Some common EDC items include:
- Folding Knives
… And, of course, bags!
Heck, I’ve even got a post on my favorite everyday carry items for both urban EDC and those specifically for men.
EDC has become increasingly popular with the rise of minimalism.
“Minimalism” is the practice of only keeping the bare minimum of what you need. Minimalists believe that freedom from material possessions also equates to freedom in your life.
Although EDC technically refers to items you carry around everyday, EDC specific items tend to share similar traits.
- They tend to be small.
- They tend to be lightweight.
- They tend to be multifunctional.
When choosing your EDC gear, you want something small and light enough that it won’t get in the way of your daily activities while being as useful as possible. EDC items also tend to be tough and durable, so that you can use them while on the go.
What is a sling bag and why’s it great for EDC?
A “sling bag” is a small bag you can sling across one shoulder and around your back or chest. Sling bags are becoming increasingly popular due to their compact size, versatile build, and stylish design.
Sling bags are a great choice if you:
- Want to keep your valuables secure. Nobody will be able to pickpocket you if your bag is over your chest!
- Desire freer movement. Sling bags fit snugly against their carrier, meaning they’re less likely to swing around.
- Often carry more than will fit in your pockets.
The sling bag is perfect because it’s small enough to be carried easily but large enough to store all your gear!
What To Look For When Choosing A Sling Bag
When choosing a sling bag, there are several features to look for. A good sling bag will:
Be lightweight: It’s important to make sure that your sling bag is light enough to carry around every day. Nobody wants to haul something heavy on their back everywhere they go!
Have a high-quality strap: The strap is arguably the most important part of the sling bag. You will want a strap that is padded, since you will be carrying weight on your shoulder, as well as a strap that is adjustable.
Have organizational pockets: What good is a bag if you can’t find anything in it? A good sling bag will have organizational pockets so you can easily find your gear while on the go.
Be comfortable: When choosing a bag, make sure that it rests comfortably on your shoulder and against your back. A quality bag will have a padded back so you don’t feel the contents of your pack against your back.
Be mobile: The best sling bags will have extra straps you can adjust beneath your arm or around your waist to help the bag cling to your body, preventing it from flapping around.
When it comes to quality and versatility, the Patagonia Atom Sling is without a doubt one of the best options out there. It’s my top choice when it comes to a sling bag for EDC.
However, if you’re not able to afford the price tag that comes with it, the rugged Kavu Rope Sling is a great option for those of you who want to rough it in the mountains or commute to work in the city with style. The OutdoorMaster Sling Bag is also a more affordable option, but is better suited for users in the city.
Which bag is your favorite? Leave a comment and let us know!